View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
That first story about 601 S. LaSalle St. is interesting too, to me at least. That building is a real peach but it basically disappears right now because it's sandwiched between a Metra overpass and that god awful parking garage at Clark/Harrison. With that parking garage hopefully turning into that Rocz[Polish name]ak building. With a less eyesorey neighbor, 601 might start to stand out. If some pedestrian life can get pumped along Harrison (likely once that River South stuff starts happening), that building will be in a prime spot. Apartments/condos seems obvious, but I'd like to see someone make a solid push for commercial. I don't think the South Loop will ever come alive until there's people there during the day.

Interesting that it was CA Ventures was holding on to the building, though. I wonder if they had their eyes on making student lofts out of it. Wouldn't be a tough sell, since there's already student lofts on the same block. I guess they couldn't make the numbers work.

Bruce Rauner's Chicago campaign office was in that building's storefront, btw. I used to see his giant face on the side of a bus turning down LaSalle all the time.