View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 3:00 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Was not the original parking scheme introduced to assist those who live in the venerable older buildings that have little to no parking?

Certainly, I'd agree that the city shouldn't be handing out street passes to people that have available parking underground.
Exactly! A more strict screening process would be worth a try before a 700% increase in permit fees and the removal of free 2 hour parking, not to mention littering the landscape with unsightly parking meters and concrete pads on which to place them.

From what I've heard, the average rental building charges about $100 - $125 / month for secured parking. When applying for a a permit a resident should have to verify whether or not they have been provided with parking in their respective rental or condo. If they have a space, no permit.

If the city chooses to increase fees they should match what the market rate is for rental spaces. If they're about $125 / month then that's what the permits should be increased to, then tied to increased market rates of say 3% / year. Thereby removing the incentive to ditch the parking in the building in favour of cheaper street parking. I have no doubt that this would free up hundreds of spaces.