View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 7:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Right... because you disagree with me.

I watched the CFL from the 70's to the early 90s, and the NFL from the 70's till now. So obviously I know nothing about the game. Right.

The lack of talent in the CFL is always defended by "it's not worse, it's a different game". Sorry, that's nonsense. It's still American football - in which the NFL has a great deal more talent. You can think otherwise, but you'd be dead wrong.
Let’s start with a few of the basics to see if I’m wasting my breath. First, the CFL is Canadian football invented in Canada. It was exported to the US where it eventually became NFL football, but the two games evolved quite differently and have played by quite different rules for a century. Here are just a couple of the key differences. In the Canadian game the field is much wider, over 20% wider, and this has a huge impact on the game. There is also one less down in the Canadian game, 3 instead of 4. The fact that there is one less down to get a first down, but a much bigger field to work with, means that the offensive strategy is very different than it is in the NFL, and this in turn means that the defensive strategies are very different, and the kinds of players you’re looking for to execute those strategies are very different at most positions. In general the NFL game favours size and power while the CFL game favours speed, quickness, and I would say intelligence as well. There’s been lots of back and forth over the years for various reasons and a number of top NFL players have come here and failed, because they just weren’t suited to the CFL game, and there have been a number of CFL players who have gone to the NFL and immediately become Pro Bowl players as well, but If you’ve been around the CFL as long as you say you have then you would know this.