View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post

Bruce Garrioch, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: December 16, 2017 | Last Updated: December 16, 2017 11:12 PM EST

Daly said the logistics wouldn’t work because a pop-up stadium of 30,000 people wasn’t going to work on the Hill plus the government didn’t back the project because of the costs and time involved in building the rink along with the massive security concerns.

“I think it was logistically difficult if not impossible,” Daly said. “It’s possible that it wouldn’t have ever been able to happen. If it was ever able to happen it would have cost a lot of money and more than it would be justified by.

“I understand there’s some criticisms now with the costs associated with the (rink) there now but I understand it’s going to be there until February and I think that’s great and the way to do it but the costs associated are significant.”

The Hill just wouldn’t have been able to handle the temporary stands and everything that went with it.

“There was a discomfort as well with having a stadium complex that close to the head seat of government in Canada. That creates a lot of logistical issues: Bathrooms, concessions and all that stuff was difficult to work through. At the end of the day, the right decisions were made,” said Daly.

The fact the Senators were able to hold the game at Lansdowne after the Grey Cup was here three weeks ago has worked out well.

“All the signs here are really, really positive,” said Daly.

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hock...3-554f6f27c21c
Having seen Lansdowne over the past few weeks, I can't imagine how things would have worked at the hill. Logistically, Lansdowne was stretched pretty much to the max for Grey Cup and then NHL, and that was with only a 12k increase in attendance over what they usually accommodate. Kitchens, cleaning, loading dock/receiving space, staffing, outdoor and indoor spaced (Arena and Aberdeen), everything has been pushed to the max and utilized as much as possible at TD Place.