View Single Post
Old Posted May 27, 2014, 5:33 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
The reason for the parking permit program due to some communities being more attractive to nonresident parkers than other areas. For example, no-one other than people visiting my neighbours or visiting my house has a reason to park on my street. However communities close to Hospitals, Schools, C-trains, etc. have an issue with nonresidents free loading from the free parking.
Those last 2 sentences directly contradict each other. If there's no reason, there's no problem. If there's a problem, then they have a reason.

However, this all boils down to the assumption that on-street parking was ever built or designed for local residents only. Some people are 100% convinced in that, some people 0%. I'd actually put myself somewhere in the middle - but much like traffic complaints in general, I don't have a lot of sympathy for residents here. If you live close to popular amenities, expect traffic and parking issues. That's how cities work.

I'd rather we move away from Balkanizing our neighbourhoods the way I've seen some places move in the past. Besides, this kind of thinking is at the core of NIMBY - omg, build something and I'll have parking problems! Perhaps if parking is a concern for a person, they should purchase property that has parking on it? Calgary isn't exactly Tokyo here, there are plenty of places in even the most dense communities to park off-street.