View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Yes, and also the growth in government contractors. Suburban MD has very strong growth and suburban VA is even stronger. Loudon County, VA was practically rural 10 years ago and now is typical sprawling exurbia.

I like the MD suburbs but I generally dislike the VA suburbs. The rate of growth has (IMO) contributed to a drop in the quality of life in places like Fairfax County, VA. Traffic in Northern VA seems worse than even in LA and the quality of the growth in VA seems to lag that of MD.
Sadly, I have to agree with NOVA. Reston is my hometown, but its Fairfax County that seems to get more forgotten every time I go back. Fairfax County is far different than the Fairfax County 10 years ago, and not in a good way. Its just aging BADLY.
Annandale, Herndon, Baileys Crossroads, Falls Church have grimy (for the suburbs) commerical districts. To be blunt, they really look like hell.
Same goes for parts of Arlington, Alexandria and Manassas (the most God awful suburb on the planet). Trash is more visible than in downtown Chicago or its surrounding neighborhoods. How is that possible?
I always think to myself "What the hell happened here?"