Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 8:34 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
Your link doesn't work,
Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
Newly built density, to the point of diminishing returns is plenty efficient - that is however not what is typically being built. Introducing and maintaining and continually developing density in intensely developed urban areas is catastrophically expensive.
Although I understand what you are saying, I could raise the counterpoint that density through intensification would still have lower maintenance costs especially when it comes to services. In addition, if the infrastructure replacement/upgrades were completed according to a master plan instead of in an ad hoc fashion it would still be cheaper than providing the same sort of infrastructure in a greenfield setting.

Also, I think your point helps the argument for more density in suburban developments.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz