View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I agree with your paragraph, up until this. No, it's not why "the city of the museum" lost. It only lost because Lucas didn't let it play out in court - it lost because of a lawsuit, and while stupid to block a museum, still had enough legal grounding to continue in court. It's one thing to rally against someone who isn't open minded against other opinions, but to come on here and not even understand why the museum left Chicago is about half as ridiculous as what ryanrule said. And as far as I know, we're all for Chicago here - so even if you think that museum should have not been on the lakefront at all, Chicago still lost 100% of it and that is not something to cheer about especially if you come on here and post.
im not cheering. but lucas and rahm could have approached this so differently than they did. had they engaged the community earlier, been more open and transparent about the decision making process, and been more flexible around site location, this wouldnt have happened.

it was apparent this location would be challenged from day 1. they plowed ahead anyway, and then didnt even bother to let it play out in court. what was gained from all this? i question whether he ever truly wanted to be in chicago in the first place. its obvious CA was his first choice, and his wife talked him into bringing it here when it fell through. but i just never got the impression he thought of the city as anything other than something that should bend to his will. is he the type of guy you would ever see around town? engaging people in his idea? shaking hands with everyday people, garnering their support? outside of cloistered City Club esque lunches for the elite, never. hes a reclusive individual who is used to getting his way with a massive ego, and that dosent help when youre pitching an idea that is supposed to engage and benefit the community (if that is indeed what its really about).

it had nothing to do with Chicago, his legacy, or enriching lives. all he seems to have cared about from the beginning is being on the water.