View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TysonsEngineer View Post
The Westpark Drive development is a nice change, regardless of its short comings. I live down the street and have to go by these 2 story buildings that are a waste of the land they sit on (land that if Lerners price tells you anything) is worth upwards of 50-60 million dollars. I agree that 700 units out of 4 buildings is extremely small. By comparison the 6-story Avalon Park Crest has 400+ (mostly because it is annoyingly wide at the bottom).

So I previously posted about a cost estimate assumption. I spent this week developing it to fully understand the economics behind these projects. It goes to the point that all parties gain benefit from taller buildings. Even 40-50 stories begins to minimalize the land costs of 10 million dollars per acre. We should be seeing 400 or 500 unit buildings not projects. Take a look at http://thetysonscorner.com/blog/?p=488

I would post it here instead but its a fairly complex posting. If anyone wants to replicate it here feel free to. I realllllly hope that someone comes to some kind of an agreement for atleast a push on unlimited residential above the 40th floor.
That's what I think they should do; allow office up to 30-40 floors, then residential and ONLY residential above that. I think 30 would be a better # than 40 (or even 25) as there isn't a huge need for office buildings that tall, and if we did see several huge projects go up at once the 'infill' that makes a place truly urban could take much longer to develop.

Residents would have two major benefits--views and QUIET. Placing residential so far above the street level would ensure most of the noise doesn't reach where people actually live, which is a major plus.