View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post

I agree that there are only a couple cities that could have a 300m tower and not look ridiculous, and they are Calgary, Montreal and obviously Toronto. Edmonton and Vancouver needs a couple 200m towers first. Don't know enough about Mississauga to weigh in there.
I'll... third this. The aesthetics of it should be considered. Honestly, even in Calgary or Montreal, I think it could be tricky to pull it off without it completely dwarfing the rest of the skyline. Though, that does depend on how "supertall" we're talking.

Though, that might not be a terrible thing. Look at Taipei. They have Taipei 101, their next tallest is somewhere around 200 meters, and the rest of the CBD has buildings more or less the height of Vancouver/Edmonton. What they ended up with was a truly landmark tower that completely defines the city, and nothing else even comes close. It might not look as cool as a big cluster of tallish skyscrapers, but it still leaves a very lasting impression. When I think Taipei, Taipei 101 is at the top of the list of what I think of. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on that.

So, I guess it depends on what we're after here. A landmark tower that defines the city, or something big that adds to the existing skyline, but doesn't completely overpower it. And, obviously the best answer is somewhere in the middle, rendering all my babbling useless. I apologize.