View Single Post
Old Posted May 21, 2007, 3:01 AM
Meh

The product of April showers.

I love Spring. Everything's in bloom, green and smelling good.

Our Memosas are blooming. These trees grow to 35 feet tall depending on the climate and location. The flowers have a sweet smell, almost like honey-suckle. At night the leaves fold in and close. I love these because our neighborhood was once full of them and I have fond memories of going for walks as a child with my family and the neighborhood and the air being filled with their smell.

Two years ago I planted an Oleander in the yard and it's doing well quadrupling in size. They're bushy and can grow to 10 feet tall and be up to 20 feet wide depending on the climate. These are tropical of course. They have a lot of these down along the coast growing wild along the highway. Down there they're big enough that you could hide a car inside them. This one probably won't get to be much more than 8 feet tall or so, and maybe that wide at best. The flowers don't really have a smell, but they're beautiful, though. The ends of the stalks will be covered with flowers for 2 months or so with sporadic blooms afterward. Oleanders come in several different colors including white and lavender.

One of our Rose of Sharons. These are actually a species of hybiscus. These trees grow to about 8 to 10 feet tall. The flowers don't really have any smell, but they put on these huge flowers, 3 to 5 inches across and bloom for 3 months during the Spring and summer. We have several of these growing in the yard. My grandmother and grandfather both planted some 40 years ago and these are the decendants of those. These also come in lavender which we have some of.

Zoomed in.

Thanks for looking.

Thou shall not indict