View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 2:25 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post
I would have liked to see another tower but it sure will be nice to see fenwick re-vamped
In a sense Halifax will be getting a new tallest building. A new 34-storey tower as part of a 500+ unit development would be a major project in even a much larger city. And we could conceivably have this under construction at the same time as the ~30 storey main King's Wharf tower.

I think some major modern looking buildings would go a long way in changing the way people perceive Halifax and the way Haligonians perceive the city centre. When visitors go downtown they are fairly likely to notice Fenwick and King's Wharf, whereas something like the Vic is much lower key, even if it is a nice building. Maybe people will start to realize that they are living in a fairly substantial, growing city.

Follow-through on King's Wharf and Fenwick would probably also mitigate the United Gulf and Nova Centre situation somewhat (hopefully these projects will work out, but the optics of giant empty lots sitting for years are not good). There seems to be an attitude that these were pie-in-the-sky proposals that are too elaborate for Halifax. I don't believe that's true and we've seen many new buildings but until some major buildings go up the city will have a bit of a retro appearance.