View Single Post
Old Posted May 17, 2010, 9:25 PM

I think the Addison Park development is fairly bland, inoffensive architecture. That being said, the 7-Eleven, its surface parking and the surface lot west of it is one of the most offensive locations in the city. I clicked my heels together when I saw plans for development there.

The iO building, Mullens and bar Louie are worse than what is going to be built. Chicago benefits from having some mass to buildings on our corners, especially along the diagonal streets. This is the only way we can add some relief when we look down our low, flat geography. Not a problem they have in cities that aren't on a grid or that have some geography in them, like Cincinnati or Pittsburgh. We're upgrading Addison between Clark and Sheffield and we're upgrading on some of Clark.

I like the Goose Island and Red Ivy facades. They are attractive and, like you say Via, they represent old building stock that adds some variety to the streetscape. In this case, I'm not too broken up about losing them. The rubric I use when I consider a demolition isn't just age, but whether or not the building has a unique character. There are tons of buildings that once they are torn down could never be practically recreated. We don't have the masons or Terra Cotta factories to build them any more and cost would be prohibitive at modern labor prices. The Red Ivy and Goose Island buildings are nice, but ordinary brick structures that aren't that different from new construction. I don't feel like we're losing anything too valuable or unique but we are getting something good (from an urbanist, not aesthetic perspective) and we don't have to look at the 7-11 any more! On balance, I'm happy.