View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 5:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I guess I'd need a better explanation of what "pick from the best the world has to offer in terms of culture" means in practice, and how that would be different with/without a multicultural society, particularly in the contemporary globalized reality. The only obvious example I can think of it the range of food choices available to us today, but even those would be more dependent on immigration patterns than on multiculturalism per se.
If I may clarify, what I meant is that the usual standard response to the age-old question of why (Anglo-)Canadians aren't more interested in their own cultural stuff - compared to people in Quebec and other people in the world - is that they have a wider global view of things that extends beyond the narrow prism of their country's borders. There is a virtuous angle to this.

It gives the impression that people are more into, say, viewing the films from around the world nominated for the Palme d'Or at Cannes, as opposed to Jerry Bruckheimer's explosion-filled blockbusters and Norman Lear and Aaron Spelling sitcoms. (Showing my age on that last one.)