View Single Post
Old Posted May 17, 2005, 2:00 PM
Just win, Billikens.

Quote:
2) What is the latest on the SLU arena? I inquired when I was back in January (I am a SLU grad) and I was told that there was a snag in the financing and that they still have not broken ground on this. When the plans were announced, I got a mailing from the school (asking for money) with the dog and pony show about the arena. It looked awesome inside and out. Exactly what is needed in SLU and in midtown. SLU is the key to revitalizing midtown...I would assume the city and the school could work together to make sure whatever needs to get done gets done. So WTF is the holdup, and is this project in danger of not getting off the ground?
Fellow Billiken,

The university is still raising funds - once they hit a certain target amount (I think it's $30-$35 million) they will start construction. I believe that they are about halfway to reaching that figure, but things seem to be heating up.

They have been making progress lately - an anonymous donor has stepped up with a matching gift of up to $2 million (and possibly more), and the university has been selling bricks that from what I've head have been bringing in approx. $100k a week. Once they get the naming rights sold, I think we'll really see some progress.

This thing will happen, it's just a matter of when, not if. The university's first priority has been the new research building on the med campus, with the arena as a secondary concern.