View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
The only way that could really be possible would be to route the Airport Parkway to the east instead of to the west as it approaches Uplands. Sort of have a Y exit, one continuing towards the airport via the current route, and the other would have to be routed on/beside the Rail Corridor that is there to Leitrim. And then simply rename the portion that goes south to possibly Riverside Parkway / Riverside South Parkway? (too confusing?)

Or we could spend Billions of dollars and do what Calgary is doing and tunnel underneath the runway and have the Airport Parkway run in a straight line until Leitrim and continuing to Earl Armstrong. IMO this would create a huge 'shortcut' for Riverside South AND Barrhaven residents (new bridge) but will never happen because of financial reasons.
I agree, a tunnel is not a smart idea. Maybe if traffic counts peaked at 200,000, but not at, say, 40,000.

I was kind of leaning onto that kind of idea as well of a side-winder route, but finding a corridor is difficult - there is no way the rail corridor should be used.

It makes me wonder - was the Limebank widening really warranted or should other corridors have been considered? All that did was put more pressure on Hunt Club which was already over capacity. Ultimately, the Hunt Club corridor is where all the massive work will need to go. It is already seriously over capacity in the area and will only get worse.