View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 3:10 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Toronto I'd say London, followed by NYC and Melbourne. London has similar share of South Asian and Caribbean, while the lack of a major Chinese/East Asian population is the main difference. The borough of Queens is the "Toronto of the USA" (though obviously has other demographics - it's about as Hispanic as it is Asian for example). Melbourne is a lot whiter than Toronto and lacks a lot of groups Toronto has (few Blacks and much less South Asian) but fairly similar in terms of East Asians and is also the most "white ethnic" city in Australia.

Montreal is a difficult one given its francophone/North American nature. Maybe Paris. It has demographics more in line with the francophone, no North American city for example has such large North African populations (but nowhere near the Paris numbers). Interestingly Boston might be closest, similar Asian population shares and Haitians are the largest Black immigrant group in both.

Vancouver is of course very Asian and especially Chinese; closest would probably be the Bay Area. Bay Area is the most Asian place in the mainland US (and more Asian than British and even Australian cities). San Jose-Santa Clara County might come closest as it is plurality-Asian (though again has the Hispanic presence Van lacks).

Once you get outside the big three, it gets harder. Since they're less international and more "typical Canadian" so to speak.
I'm guessing that you've never really travelled?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers