View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 15, 2008, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
you know, you're right. and while we're at it, let's make the military pay for itself (when was the last time it turned a profit? i mean directly, not counting halliburton's profits). maybe fire and police should pay for themselves too. why not emergency rooms in hospitals? broken leg? pay up, yourself, bub, it's not my problem. libraries, too. and parks, we need to charge an entrance fee at public parks. it would get the riff-raff out as well. shit, now that i think about it, there are all KINDS of things that we should demand a profit from!
Before you do... what you just did, maybe it would have been more constructive to ask him why he thought so? Obviously rail has to be subsidized... perhaps his gripe is not necessarily that we spend money on rail, but the relative amount.

Or perhaps it's that he thinks if we spent a fraction of the money we spend on rail on education, we'd be better off.

Or maybe he thinks the money would be better spent on expanding bus lines.

Or maybe he was just hoping someone would respond and throw around dozens of generalized, exagerated statement, in which case I'm sure you made him happy.

You don't come to a consensus as a society by telling someone they're stupid for not sharing your opinion.