View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 5:10 PM
BANNED

I don't see where the complaining that "it doesn't complement the other buildings well" is coming from. This is Chicago, our architectural history is all about not complementing the other buildings well. If we "complemented other buildings" with the John Hancock Building we would have a 6 story castle-looking apartment building instead... Chicago has a long history of its buildings saying "screw you" to everything around them and being completely different, I don't understand the contextualism argument at all. I think contextualism outside of the realm of urban planning (i.e. aesthetics) is complete BS.

Also, I don't like the idea of them building this hotel on the Sears Tower garage because that would be a complete waste of that lot. Are you really going to advocate replacing what is one of the largest developable plots of land in the Loop area with a measly 50 story hotel? Its right next to the Sears Tower, 311 S. Wacker, and AT&T! It needs a building that will be at least 800' tall, if not a supertall or something in the range of 1200'. I can see there actually being demand for this in the future as the loop is choked off by the NIMBY's to the West.