View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 11:07 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiahoudun View Post
I agree with Fabb on being satisfied with the proposed height in the recent article. Currently the SWFC can be seen from nearly everywhere in the citycenter, either Puxi or Pudong. It really struck me last month, during my stay there, that lonely Jin Mao had always been too short to be seen from great distance. When the weather is good, you can see the top of SWFC from almost anywhere within the ringroad elevated highway Zhongshan Lu in Puxi. And that is a huge area.

If Shanghai center would be higher than 600 meters, the contrast with it's two supertall neighbours would be disturbing.
I agree with this sentiment. Having been in Shanghai 2.5 years ago, before SWFC got into the skyline, I do remember that the Jin Mao Building did not have the skyline presence that SWFC does. SWFC is a dominating building (as you say, it's amazing the places you can see it from), and if Shanghai Centre was too tall, it would look unbalanced - the increase of heights from Jin Mao to SWFC to Shanghai Centre will be perfect, and form, in my opinion, the best skyscraper cluster in the world.

As to the finalist designs, I like both of them. But as much as I like Foster's work, I have to say that I prefer the Gensler design - it's been my favourite from the beginning, and I hope it wins the final competition.