View Single Post
Old Posted May 16, 2012, 2:49 AM

My opinion on the general development:

* On country lots, they shouldn't necessarily be encouraged but if the demand exists, they should be permitted. However, they should not be subsidized in any way, shape or form by taxpayers beyond bare rural services. If they don't get approved in Ottawa, they will get approved in neighbouring municipalities. (And don't bring Queen's Park into a Greenbelt Act there as that will bring guaranteed extreme protests, since the municipalities surrounding Ottawa are MUCH more conservative than those around Toronto.)

* On town centres, certainly key areas should be designed for what are sometimes called "edge cities" with what I would call super-intensification. Tall buildings - with no set height limits - should be allowed in any of them. Those areas would be concentrated near transit hubs (not just stations).

* Overall densities in the suburbs should remain as they are now outside the core intensification areas. They seem to be standard for 2010s developments, and are higher than many areas inside the Greenbelt. However, if opportunities for higher-density development come, they should be seriously considered.

* As for the TMP, I would subdivide the Arterial category into 4 levels:

** Core Arterial (also includes City Freeways and Provincial Freeways) - these roads would form the main through traffic network, and also the main routes for goods movements. (Examples under city ownership: Hunt Club Road, Airport Parkway)

** Suburban Arterial - your standard arterial road in the suburbs, connecting communities and activity centres (Examples: Woodroffe Avenue, Jeanne d'Arc Boulevard)

** Urban Arterial - mainstreets for commercial and residential development and main transit routes, with the goal of developing into TODs and pedestrian-friendly corridors (Examples: Bank Street, Montreal Road)

** Parkway - NCC corridors plus other scenic routes where bicycle and pedestrian movements should be encouraged as well and trucks restricted if possible (Examples under city ownership: Riverside Drive, Carling Avenue west of Bayshore)