View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 5:54 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

500 West Fifth Street:
Are you looking for an update on this skyscraper, designed by Welton Becket & Associates in the 1970s? I was, too! It appears as if Grubb Properties was in the process securing tax credits before completing the purchase of the skyscraper... when PMC Property Group stepped-up and took the project away from Grubb Properties! I've heard Grubb Properties and Sabal Financial were set to enter mediation over an issue related to this project, on March 13, 2017, but I haven't been able to confirm this. Yes, developers do fight over these buildings in Winston-Salem when they hit the market. It's important to buy the building, while you have a chance, and not wait!

Credit: jenosaurusr3x

I looked for a song from around the time Integon Life Insurance Company was the Carolinas' largest insurance company and was acquiring land to build this skyscraper (500 West Fifth Street, above) for their headquarters. I tried to find something you may not have heard in years. It's a new year, so we should have some fun with this thread!

Video Link

Science & Engineering Center:
This project should be completed? When they officially open it, I'll make the usual completion photography post. Did you know: This building has a 100 seat auditorium.

This photograph is labeled as the Engineering Center, but it could be the downtown medical school building?

Credit: Wake News

Tech Company Expansion - New Jobs:
zalo, at the WSTB Forum, is reporting a research testing labortory has taken over the downtown Winston-Salem building at Sixth and Spring streets. They have doubled in size and continue to grow.

NoTra Mixed-use Building:
Dogwood, at the WSTB Forum, shared an update. It's very difficult to find photographs of this project. If you are a member of that forum, be sure to thank the photographer for the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwood @ WSTB Forum

607 North Trade Building:
Another update from Dogwood at the WSTB Forum. I think this is our first construction photography update for this building? Dogwood posted updates for several buildings at the WSTB Forum. I am only sharing a few on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwood @ WSTB Forum
AFAS Center for the Arts:
The architect said it is now fully enclosed.

Credit: STITCH Design Shop

Credit: _mackphotography_

U.S. Olympic Cycling Training Center:

In the rain:

Credit: presleybowers9

Bailey Business Center - Building 23-2: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)

Local steel used in the original construction:

Credit: WayUpMedia

Credit: _mackphotography_

Salem Lake Marina:
We don't see many updates on this project. Yes, this beautiful lake is located inside the city limits, just a short bike ride from downtown.

Credit: dandelionbeaches

Corpening Plaza Renovation:
The red concrete stain should be removed. That was an ugly renovation from a few years ago. I would like to see it restored as close as possible to the original Zion & Breen Associates design. I know the center island had to be removed to host bigger events, but they can still restore it without the island.

Credit: bolejack_egroove

757 North Apartments:

An older aerial view:

Credit: Wings Over Winston

Wise Man Brewing - Brewery, Office Space, & Music Venue:
Wise Man will open this month, with the most taps in North Carolina! Wise Man’s taproom features two large garage doors and a third that pulls down to a countertop. There’s also a long concrete-topped bar, a community table stretching through the center of the space, and two distinct patios. Inside, a bank of salvaged windows creates a transparent side wall, allowing patrons to peer into the brewery. Few breweries are as open as Wise Man, which invites spectators to learn more about the brewing side using a map on one piece of glass that explains what’s brewing in each tank at any given time. Wise Man has serious expansion potential, with more built-in space to grow. Even before Wise Man opened its doors, Victory had already envisioned second and third rows of barrel fermenters, and the brewery has more than enough cold storage space to hold them.

New crowler labels:

Credit: Wise Man Brewing

Grain auger installation:

900 pounds of grain to be milled:

Pulling the first bag of grain through the auger:

Credit: J. Sinclair | Winston-Salem Monthly

Alternative Transportation:

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway: (Winston-Salem's High Line)

Credit: ame_lanie

Off-Subject:

James Rollins in Winston-Salem:
James Rollins, #1 New York Times bestselling author of international thrillers, translated into more than 40 languages, will visit Winston-Salem as he travels on his Seventh Plague Tour. His series has been lauded as one of the “top crowd pleasers” by The New York Times and one of the “hottest summer reads” by People Magazine. In each novel, acclaimed for its originality, Rollins unveils unseen worlds, scientific breakthroughs, and historical secrets. His hands-on knowledge from his career in veterinary medicine helps shape the research and scientific speculation that set James Rollins’ books apart.

This is scheduled for Saturday, January 28, at 6:30 p.m., in lower downtown's Old Salem Visitors Center. It is a free event and includes book signing and book sales. (336) 747-1471.

Random Photographs:

Credit: marla.30

Credit: winstonwandering

Credit: blackhorsestudio

Credit: natykolanian

Credit: celestogramme

Credit: _steve_winter