View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 3:26 AM
SC made me a hippie

L.A. Times today

L.A. City Council rejects massive Las Lomas development
In a split vote, the panel halts its review of the 5,553-home project near the 5 and 14 freeways. Some council members fear a lawsuit.
By David Zahniser, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
1:11 PM PDT, March 20, 2008
A divided Los Angeles City Council voted Wednesday to halt its review of the 5,553-home Las Lomas project, dealing what could well be a fatal blow to the mega-development planned for north Los Angeles County.

"This project would have put 15,000 cars a day in an already heavily impacted area," said City Councilman Greig Smith, who represents the northwest San Fernando Valley. "The people of L.A. said we can't take that anymore. We're tired of it."

FOR THE RECORD:
Las Lomas project: An article in Thursday's Section A about the Las Lomas housing development identified Santa Clarita resident Diane Trautman as a city councilwoman. She is a candidate for City Council.
The 10-5 vote, which instructed the Planning Department to stop processing the application, represented a huge victory for Smith, who had argued that the council had no need to review a project that would flood the region with traffic and yet is outside city limits.

The decision also reflected the heightened anxiety over growth and traffic felt by some of the city's elected officials, who almost never issue an outright rejection of a development proposal.

For weeks, Las Lomas Land Co. had been waging an uphill battle to keep the project viable, arguing that Los Angeles should process an environmental impact report and then annex the firm's land from unincorporated Los Angeles County. The company said it had spent $20 million since 2002 trying to get its project approved.

I cut the article short...you get the point... WOW LA... I guess they are beginning to finally see the big picture on suburbs...