View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 5:15 AM
BANNED

^^^ Agreed, that's what I was getting at. They design a great modern layout, then tack on "ornament" to make it look "luxurious". Man that would be crazy to have lived through the 50's, 60's, and 70's when clean modern design was considered luxury and old classical crap was considered dated and dingy.

I've been doing some work in old banks and some of them are just time capsules on the floors that aren't used for customers especially the basements. I found a kitchen the other day in one that looked like it hadn't been disturbed since 1965. It was pristine, ever appliance, cabinet, table, and chair was vintage of that era and matching, talk about comprehensive "Bauhaus" design! If I could I would have just ripped the whole room out and installed it in my house.

I've been thinking lately that our society has by in large lost its ability to "match" over the past 30 years as we've become so fractured and fragmented into subcultures. If you look at old buildings, everything inside matches, whether they are from the 00's, 20', or 60's, but as soon as you go in to a room that was designed in the 80's, its just completely schitzo with all sorts of weird contradictory patterns and designs that just don't follow a unified scheme. I guess that's just post-modern philosophy though...