View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 26, 2006, 12:34 PM
Lovable dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by one very bored guy
And this defines a culture or country? Fashions differ across Europe no more widely than they do across the US. People in Southern Europe dress for the warmer weather, and people in Northern Europe dress for the cooler climate. Just like those in Florida dress quite different to those in Detroit. Should the US split up as a nation because of this?
As I wrote in my post, clothing isn't exactly an important factor in my opinion (contrary to other people). Americans don't see themselves as being part of a nation just because the guy in the next state's wearing the same brand of jeans. The Civil War didn't take place because southerners were fed up with the taste in clothing that northerners had.

Being part of a nation is something that you feel, perhaps a state of mind. When Spain and the UK suffered terrorist attacks, I felt bad for them, but a terrorist attack in Berlin or Munich would have been much more shocking for me.

To summarize: Using clothing, cars, music etc. to support your argument people somehow have the same strictly defined (ie solely European, not Western) culture is foolish.

Last edited by The Dear Leader; Sep 26, 2006 at 12:42 PM.