View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 16, 2006, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingUp
Dallas has a lot more potential than the limitied activity in the Victory/Turtle Creek area.

There are thousands of potential buyers for the urban (hopefully high-rise) lifestyle in Dallas. Where are the Developers?

San Diego (smaller than DFW) will deliver 5,000 units of high-rise living this year - Dallas will be lucky to complete 1,000. What is the problem?

Maybe someone in Dallas knows. I'll be there next week asking the same question. Save me the time - tell me what's up? (Or, not up).

Thoughtful responses appreciated.

Still - Looking Up.
OK, I'll play along.

- The activity is not limited to Turtle Creek and Victory. There is also construction downtown, Uptown, north Dallas, Oak Lawn and in the Platinum Corridor
- The activity is not limited to new construction. There are a huge amount of highrise space being converted to residential downtown. I don't know if San Diego has nearly the stock of older highrises that Dallas does.
- Dallas (DFW) has more space than San Diego. No mountains, hills or oceans. Most activity you see will be of the townhome and midrise variety. Of which, there is a ton under construction. I have no real idea how many units.
- If you're going to use the population of DFW, then use metro DFW. That would include all of Dallas, Plano, Frisco, Las Colinas, Southlake, Addison, and downtown Fort Worth that are currently building urban type living units.
- What I've updated lately has been what's in the news and what our local photographers have documented. That's doesn't mean that is all that is happening. I can think of a few that I haven't even documented on this thread in months like Villa Rosa, Azure, Ritz-Carlton, 1700 Main, Park Lane Place, the 3 towers going up in Far North Dallas, all the new stuff in Las Colinas or the new stuff in Frisco and Plano. There is even more that will break ground in the next few months.
- If you really want more updated info, I suggest forums.dallasmetropolis.com

would also like to mention the lack of housing bubble here. Dallas can never build at the pace of places in such bubbles. Prices are much too steady.