View Single Post
Old Posted May 16, 2011, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
Looks like they plan on keeping the rail ROW through there. I don't see it being used for a long long time but I guess it's worth preserving.
I'm not sure that the old railway ROW is being preserved for future use, but rather the ROW is also the separation between Burger King site to the south and the DeSerres (formerly Loomis Art Stores) site to the north. The rest of the ROW crossing Quebec and into the Olympic Village lands seem to be missing from the SEFC development plans, and the tracks east of Main St for several hundred feet have been ripped up & turned into parking space for Midas.

With the re-development plans for the Burger King site and the DeSerres site (and the old Vancouver Chrysler site further north) far enough along to have public redevelopment planning sessions, its likely easier just to keep the curve of the ROW as the separation between these two properties and use the ROW as 'public access space' rather than sell the ROW & consolidate it with one of the lots on either side of it. If the lots on either side were owned by the same company, then perhaps they could have also purchased the ROW and consolidate the land together to get a larger (better?) development.

As for keeping it for the future Tram / Streetcar / LRT tracks from Olympic Village to VCC Station, I have seen one set of plans showing the tracks staying on 1st Ave and curving north at Quebec St to get to Main St Stn, with a future extension running straight east on 1st Ave across Quebec, Main and re-connecting east of the Midas site to the old ROW to get to VCC Stn.

Another note on the drawing suggested in the future that the Quebec tracks could be extended south down Quebec to ... ? somewhere south of 1st Ave ?
Broadway?
down Kingsway?
down Main St?