View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 4:55 PM

Ok, Ok. Down boys. Perhaps I came down too hard and sounded a bit harsh regarding your hometown. The point I was trying to make (albeit, negatively) is that the footprints of New Orleans were ill-advised to begin with -- considering the unanticipated forces of Mother Nature. To build a major city in an area surrounded by water and below sea level just is asking for trouble. And, unfortunately, you got it.
Not that I'm posing for holy pictures or anything, but my wife and I did send $100 to Red Cross relief efforts to help with Katrina's terrible aftermath. I wouldn't wish what you went through on anyone. I really, really hope I'm wrong, but I just see this as potentially throwing good money after bad. Was there ever any discussion down there about relocating -- as preposterous as that might sound -- say further north?
Maybe the new and improved levies will hold next time. I hope so.
By the way, there were many great stories here about hurricane refugees from New Orleans who landed in Milwaukee and other areas of Wisconsin. They were welcomed with open arms, shelter, etc. -- and many of them have decided to make this area their home because they've found jobs, safety and a new life. Not too bad for a sh**hole, I'd say.
Why not come up and visit Milwaukee sometime? You'd probably be surprised. It is 75 degrees today with low humidity. From early May through October, this area has some of the best weather in the country. And, believe it or not, the winters are actually not that terrible. Give me four distinct seasons anytime - it's very refreshing. Good luck, New Orleans.