View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 3:17 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjm3D View Post
Didn't it used to be Old Cummer? An even worse name.
Old Cummer is the name of a GO station in North York; it's about a 5 minute walk from where I grew up. There's actually a little bit of interesting history behind the placement of the station, considering the modern Cummer Avenue is situated well to the north:

http://cityinthetrees.blogspot.ca/20...-doorstep.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
then that needs to be changed ASAP. as well as the street name for that matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodthings View Post
I agree. Drewry should be the name of that particular station. If they are to change Cummer as the actual street name, then I would like it to call it McNicoll, since it already exists anyway.

"The next station is... McNicoll... McNicoll Station." or "The next station is... Drewry... Drewry Station." sounds WAYYY better than...

"The next station is... Cummer... Cummer Station." I mean, I really can't bear hearing someone saying like.. "I'm going to Cummer"... just like someone says I'm going to Union or something like that.
The street was named for a German Farmer named Joseph Kummer, who first settled the area in the early 1800s. He was a hard-working pioneer and I think it would be extremely disrespectful to erase the only memory we have of him and his family. It would be the same as renaming Kennedy Road in order to give it a more "Canadian" name. I actually despise the name "McNicoll Avenue", because there's no real meaning behind it, it's just a Scottish-sounding street name chosen by a 1960s suburban developer... ironically, the sort of people you guys normally hate.

It amazes me that Canadians are so afraid of insulting immigrants' family names or so keen to keep nonsensical Native placenames, and yet at the same time stand ready to dispose of other names that form a part of our history.

Last edited by Wharn; Apr 17, 2012 at 3:30 PM.