View Single Post
Old Posted May 27, 2012, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
If a botched municipal construction project causes you to have several bad years, I would not call it "close mindedness". While the street is certainly more vibrant than it was back around 2009 or so, I don't think it has changed at all since the early 2000s. St. Clair was always a vibrant street the closer you got to Yonge, and it was always an unsightly street the closer you got to Jane (despite what the Barenaked Ladies would have you believe).

Funny how you called me out on BS earlier, because I see an awful lot of it in this post. Aside from IKEA and Canadian Tire, which are remnants and cheaper land prices, there are absolutely no "big box" stores on Sheppard Avenue between Victoria Park and Yonge. If you're counting Fairview Mall and Bayview Village as "big box" centres then you have a very warped view of urban planning. Can't comment on the new condos being towers in the park because I haven't taken a detailed look at the street level (something you've obviously also failed to do), but I know for sure some new apartments at Bessarion and Don Mills make decent attempts to address the street, much like many of the newer condos along Queens Quay. I agree walkability remains an issue, but that's just the way things go when concessions are 2 kilometres apart.

Sheppard is a mirage. Even from VP to Yonge its a barren dead zone. You have fleets of Condos going up which all just run onto the 401 to get places. The only reason Sheppard gets any type of attention is because of a Subway that should not be there, all of this construction would take place regardless. Its proximity to the 401 and Suburban work hubs has made it idea just as much as CityPlaces initial proximity to the Gardiner and Downtown employment.