View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I am too young to remember the movie theater but I do remember the conversion to a upscale boutique mall. That was short lived.
The movie theater was called the Bank Cinema, had two screens and was built as part of The Bank Center, the upscale mall. You might not remember the theater as part of the shopping center because it was out of sight upstairs and, I recall, hard to find. And I do remember that there was a nightclub in the complex but I was never there.

My strongest memory of The Bank Center is of the small candy store set up inside the large bank vault on the lower level. Anyway, I saw the vault on Saturday night. I attended the opening gala at the Playhouse. There is now direct access from the orchestra floor of the main theatre to the University Center (formerly The Bank Center). This access turns out to be on the lower level of the University Center as the theatre is sunk below street level. The Playhouse architect (who, it turned out, was seated beside me at the performance) made these doors and about fifteen feet of adjacent wall out of glass, which provides theatre patrons with a perfect view of the massive brass vault door while seated in the theatre.