View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
That's a much more detailed, rationale response than we're used to from other community associations in Ottawa (*cough* Glebe, Westboro.....).

I'd like to see this (or something like it - ideally with UNBELIEVABLY GOOD architecture) built somewhere in this city in the Tunney's-Bayview-City Centre area. You'd think Tego would go mid-rise in this spot before eyeing a more viable parcel in a couple of years (assuming the aforementioned lands ever get put for sale).
I think that's the problem. There's this juicy parcel of land next to the Parkdale Park, and it's brutally contaminated. So, the owners seem to keep trying to cash in. No credible developer will touch it - they know they simply can't develop the land with enough height to make it economical. Our friends at Ashcroft and Minto have more sense than to propose a 36-storey tower next to two-storey singles and doubles. There's OMB battles where you can roll over community opposition, and then there's 36 storeys in the face of a series of consensus plan about how this land should be developed. So, first we get the Artisan guys - and you remember how warm and fuzzy they were - and now this. You'd be amazed at how much work is done on a volunteer basis in Hintonburg day in and day out on development issues. When there's credible proposals, like the Currents building, the KRP building, the new Domicile condos at Holland, even the new HUB proposal that will bring more affordable housing to the community and will most certainly require additional height, we roll up our sleeves, work through concerns, and get the job done. But that's all volunteer hours. I really, really wish the city were more proactive about nipping crap like this proposal in the bud instead of making us jump through the hoops. The owners here need to be told in no uncertain terms that their next partners had better not be another one of these fiascos. The land value there is, one of these days, going to make development within the envelope viable. In the meantime, they're going to have to be patient.