View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammo View Post
i think i've made you angry so i'm sorry and stuff.

i guess what surprised me was the belief, the implication that the republicans are in more danger than the democrats (currently) -in texas -or anywhere!
my opinion, the Rs are currently trying to 'find' themselves, redefine themselves, reorganize and are at this time leaderless. to be sure, sarah palin would be welcome at any convention or tea type party but independent conservatives are holding out for real leadership. old guard grampy mcCain was an absolute jape. he would be a welcome backbencher at best.
the Ds have now been taken over by the radical left of their party; the 'erudite' college professor wing. America's whimsical & risky fllirtation/experimentation with Obamunism will actually have been a godsend for the floundering Rs. even hilary (of clinton co.) is waiting on the sidelines. do you understand that the undeserving Rs will benefit from the foolery & damage being caused by this current admin.? and that's bad for America altogether.

i hope you are keen enuf to note the difference and growing divide between the old checkpant Repulican and the (~social/Reagan) independent conservative -which most americans indentify themselves as.

look, texas is big but so far, far away -from el Kanada at least.
and so i am unable to comment much about small obscure counties like 'Nueces' or 'Travis' or 'Tom Green' (<isn't T.G. some b grade actor?).
i suspect that only the illegal/undocumented mexican alien or an acorn type activist group(s) can help maintain any assemblance of a Democrat party in texas. as in canada, Liberals don't win with overt 'ideas'.

certainly we can at least agree 2010 has not been nice to B.O. and his ilk.
You didn't anger me, but it would be nice if you wouldn't use the thread to just talk about whatever. I'm not a moderator, so I have no say over what you can and cannot post, and it's not my intention to do so. But for me, it would be nice to have some relation to the thread topic... just like this post above. IMO a comparison between Canada and the US makes sense when you're talking about the relationship between liberals, conservatives and independents, so thank you for the perspective. I still don't agree, but I can see a relation to the thread topic, which is appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
The Party that can win the "center" usually will win the elections. It doesn't matter which state in the union we're discussing, the "independents" rule.
Independents switch votes from one party to the other from one election to the next because they are the "center".
It's an embarrassment for the Democrat Party to have a "super" majority and can't agree amongst themselves to pass a unified health care bill, which their leader stated was/is the number one national issue, through Congress.

Independents will remember that failure this fall....
Most polling is in agreement... there are now more Independents than there are of Democrats or Republicans. So I'm in full agreement about that. I also agree that the Democratic party "doesn't do well" when they have the level of power that they attained in '08. Which is why we tend to turn over much more quickly than the Republicans. If I remember correctly (which is tough b/c I was only 10 at the time), Clinton came in with a decent-sized Dem majority, and they were quickly replaced with a Republican Congress in '94.

Dems suck when in power b/c they try to enact too much change at once. They try to pass these humongous bills that will "change the world in one great swoop". It's a bad system of legislating. And I can say for the more Conservative areas of the US, voters are very turned off by that practice becuase there just isn't enough liberal support all around (except for the major cities). But my point in the thread is that the population of Texas is moving more towards the left in general because of continued diversification of the state. Even if this year's elections turn out to be a total disaster for the Democratic party, it's not going to change the growing shift in the priorities of Texans.

But the separations among Democrats are still of no comparison to the practices happening in the Republican party right now. TEA partiers have entirely too much control, and they have begun to turn off independents to their cause just like the Dems pandering inaction have also turned them off. Being an independent is truly just that this year, and it will be very interesting to see how voters side.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist