View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 6:49 AM

Armstrong Park

There was a story on WWL TV tonight about neighborhood groups trying to improve Armstrong Park.

I've been telling friends/relatives that in order for Armstrong Park to be a true, vibrant urban park (instead of the new urbanist wasteland that it currently is), the park needs to take down the fences. The other step, in order to increase foot traffic in the park and make it safe, would be to build 2 or 3 mid-rise apartment buildings / condos on the perimeter of the park. Think Central Park in NYC, flanked by housing units. If you do this, there will be enough "eyes on the street" in the park, and enough foot traffic, to keep it from feeling dangerous. And those stupid horrible fences can come down. Another thing: when you look at Armstrong Park in satellite view, its apparent that almost the whole thing is wasted in useless lagoons. I think the lagoons should be significantly scaled back, so that the space can be better used for recreation by neighbors. Man oh man, if only I had any money and/or political sway.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=new+or...siana&t=h&z=18

Last edited by cameron70115; Nov 12, 2011 at 7:04 AM.