View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 4:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
What kind of ammo do you think I would need to counter the NIMBY arguments . I don't want to be caught off guard and look stoopid!!
That's pretty difficult because what the NIMBYs are going to argue is what they always argue: It'll shade someplace important, it'll increase windspeeds on the sidewalk, it'll exacerbate traffic and other problems, it's a disaster waiting to happen if it catches on fire, if there's a big quake or terrorists fly a plane into it, what we really need is more affordable housing (even though the housing it contains is supposed to be something like 35% affordable) blah blah blah. The point is, all they have to do is argue the fear and without access to the studies proving them off-base, it's hard to refute them. And you won't have access to the studies ahead of time. So what can you say?

I think what we just have to hope is that the economics of the plan require a really tall building--that is, only a really tall building will be able to command a price from the developer sufficient to fund the project. Because if it could "pencil out" within the current height limit, you can be pretty sure the realities of San Francisco are that they would not raise the limit.