View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 8:58 AM

Salt Lake City

1. 2002 Winter Olympic Games

Considered a financial success, but more importantly gained recognition for the city on a national and international level and helped spur many developments, including projects like light-rail and The Gateway.

2. Light Rail (Trax)

Light-rail was built in an early stage compared to most cities, and in a conservative state, and became quite popular. 3 lines were built, including downtown, University, and Sandy (a suburb). 3 more are on the way

By me

3. The Gateway

A mixed-use urban mall, built in time for the Olympic Games, has since become a huge success and has renovated a decayed part of downtown. Multiple above-retail apartments, offices, and hotels have continually added on, including the headquarters for the Salt Lake Tribune.

By me

4. 222 South Main

Salt Lake City's only skyscraper of the decade to be fully completed.

By me

5. Strong Economy

During the recession, the Salt Lake Metro area continually ranks as having one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation, and strong job growth.

6. Liberal Legislation

The city eliminates many of its once 'weird' alcohol laws, and also passes anti-discrimination legislation.

7. Commuter Rail

The commuter rail, FrontRunner, is introduced and the north line is completed with service between the Salt Lake and Ogden Metro areas. 1 other line to the south servicing the Provo metro is being constructed.

By me

8. Real Salt Lake, MLS Soccer Team

Salt Lake receives its second professional sports team (after the Utah Jazz), and its first professional championship in a long time, with Real Salt Lake defeating the L.A Galaxy in a shootout for th 2009 MLS Championship.

9. University of Utah increased prominence

The 'U', located in Salt Lake City, increased its prominence on many national academic rankings, as well as through its football program where it wins 2 BCS bowls.

10. Salt Lake City Library

The beautiful new library, built downtown, received honors for 'Library of the Year' in 2006 by The American Library Association.

By me

www.UtahProjects.info