View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 14, 2004, 9:25 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightchr
i noticed the new laboratory going on at 2nd and chestnut streets a while back, but i think it's only gonna be 2 levels high. i could be wrong though. i think this is just another step in consolidating services at HBG Hosptial, so PinnacleHealth can vacate Poly Clinic eventually. it's been a long term goal for the hospital to strip Poly Clinic and move services and hospital beds to other facilities. i know the mayor has been trying to come up with new ideas for redevelopment of the poly clinic campus, including part of the new university. also, hacc has just added on-site services at poly clinic, so maybe it will continue to be around in the near distant future. IMO i think this area needs more hospitals, not less of them.
Yeah, you are dead on about Pinnacle and their plans with Poly. I know that Pinnacle has already moved a lot out of the bldg. In fact, they lease a lot of it out now.

I agree re: the hospitals. I say add more or expand (and I mean really expand) on the current ones. For a while there last year, almost every hospital in the area was on divert because they were filled to the max.

Quote:
i'm going to the brewersfest...i already bought tickets for my girlfriend and i. i'm hoping to get some of my friends to go as well. i'm sure some of them will...maybe get something to eat afterwards or do the bar crawl scene DT should be interesting...i might be walking home to Camp Hill...lol. are you going Dave?
LOL I had something going on that (I guess I should say "this" b/c it is almost here) weekend, but I think I am going to go to the Brewersfest instead. I'll keep you posted, and maybe we could use the opportunity to finally meet in person.

Here's some more development news in the area. I was wondering what they were going to do w/ this land since it has been on the market for quite a while...

Townhomes proposed for Carlisle Pike

Monday, June 14, 2004
BY CHRIS A. COUROGEN
Of The Patriot-News

After several years of unsuccessfully trying to market it as a commercial site, developers are hoping to build townhomes at Waterford Square.

Engineer John Murphy of Alpha Consulting Engineers last week told Silver Spring Twp. officials that the 20.5-acre tract along the Carlisle Pike east of Cumberland Drive would hold 120 townhomes.

Homes in the development would be priced in the $150,000 to $200,000 range. The marketing effort would target empty-nesters -- older adults with no children at home, Murphy said. It would not likely have a big impact on the Cumberland Valley School District population, Murphy told the supervisors.

Murphy said the owners, Cornerstone Development, have been unable to sell lots for commercial development.

According to the firm's real-estate broker, Bill Gladstone of CIR, the median strip between the east- and west-bound lanes of the Carlisle Pike in that area makes access difficult.

Although access might be improved when the planned New Kingston bypass is completed, that would mean letting the parcel lie vacant for several more years, Gladstone told the supervisors.

Murphy reminded the supervisors that when the commercial plan was proposed, the school district had indicated it preferred residential development on the plot because of its proximity to the high school.

Because the current development plan was approved under the township's old zoning ordinance, residential use would be permitted, Murphy said.

Cornerstone has not prepared detailed plans for the proposed development. Murphy said he wanted to get a sense of the supervisor's sentiments for or against the project.

"If you kick us out of here today, we won't bring in a plan," he said.

Although the supervisors indicated concern over the lower tax revenues and higher demand for services that residential development would bring, they seemed willing to consider such a change.

When Murphy pressed for an informal nod of approval, Supervisor Chris Latta told him, "This board is open-minded and reasonable."

"Then you're not kicking us out of the room," Murphy said, laughing, in response.