View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
I have one question in terms of the the debate between driver or driverless LRT. So far people have been focused exclusively on the savings gained by eliminating the driver. I would imagine that the introduction of the systems required to permit driverless trains also bring with them a higher cost than traditional LRT (higher precision signaling and tracking equipment, increased inspection and maintenance intervals etc...).

Does anyone have any information that looks into how these types of items may increase the cost of operating driverless trains? I'm curious because I think that when you add in these types of costs plus higher acquisition prices of driverless LRVs plus the cost of grade separating the entire Green Line to accommodate them the cost difference between driver vs driverless might be marginal at best.
The cost of grade separating the entire Green Line (but not the first phase as it's almost there already) would of course be substantial, but the technology for automated trains has existed for decades so would not be a significant cost. But I don't have any figures.

I'm really just frustrated the conversation never took place. It was just decided almost arbitrarily from the beginning that the only choice possible was low floor LRT. Vancouver built its first automated line in 1985, when their metro population was 1.35m, lower than ours now and lower still than what ours will be in 2026 and I bet no-one is wishing they had saved some pennies and built a less reliable system with far worse frequencies like the one we will get. It's disappointing that we can't have a future proofed line built and instead will have a line permanently handicapped.