View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 8:31 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I think your categories are somewhat dated. I would suggest a new category for North Central Austin. There is so much going on in the areas north of campus and up to 183, and these developments and changing neighborhoods are pretty well integrated by road, transit, and customary usage with what you refer to as Central Austin. With regards to South Austin, it seems to me that there is kind of an "Old South Austin" which is the area between downtown and Ben White (or maybe William Cannon?), and there is the newer South Austin which fans out beyond Ben White.
Oh, I don't doubt they're dated. I just never went north of UT, so that was all "North Austin" to me growing up. Old habits die hard.

And yes, there are different South Austins, and I think your delineation of Ben White is right. Obviously, Travis Heights & Bouldin are two of the oldest neighborhoods, dating back to the 1800s. Then there's the area just south of Ben White around Joslin Elementary & Crockett HS, which dates to post WWII. Then there's the "new" South Austin stretching down to FM 1626.