View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 2:03 PM

I haven't heard anyone say they really hate it, except for the people who hate all tall, modern buildings on principle.

I was in a cab a while back and the driver started talking about it, saying he really liked it.

I think the fact that it is an unusual shape - without being too weird - helps. Londoners like distinctive buildings that are instantly recognisable. They don't like to feel that London is becoming a clone of another city.

I think people also like to see signs of economic progress at the moment, and this one of the few around.

Fabb made a very good point a few posts back - it looks like it has always been there. Because it blends in so well (considering its height) I think you don't get that love it/hate it split that you get with more ostentatious buildings. Mostly, people accept it without getting to excited about it.

I seem to remember there being more excitement when the London Eye and the Gherkin went up - I guess people are more used to good quality modern projects being built, so there's less of a reaction.

It might change when it's finished, and people start to realise the views that you can get from it.