Thread: Windsor talk
View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
As for the Star forums, I can't even read the bullshit that goes on there, with all these paid trolls taking over with their anti everything posts. I wish the star had a better way of allowing conversations to happen without them being hijacked by idiots.
The Windsor Star should force people to log in using their Facebook account and I think that would cut down on the trolling dramatically.

As for people living downtown, well, don't get me wrong I'm no windsor hater, but everyone I've talked to says that there is no appeal to even go downtown, let alone live there.

My fiancee and I frequent downtown, we enjoy it, she works down there above Starbucks. We feel it's essential for us (though I know we're only 2 people) to go down there atleast a few times a month and support the downtown, which at this point is relegated to eating (and paying for parking), we also visit the art gallery from time to time, and ofcourse the usual walks at the river and down and around through the core.

Honestly though living downtown though does not seem appealing. Alot of the apartments 'seem' cheap, there are some sketchy parts of downtown, and dealing with the bar crowd and the noise could be an issue (the downtown residents association is always barking about the noise, and the rowdiness). The appeal for people to move downtown just isn't there, the stigma of being a bar town is still strong and it's going to take a long time to really get people with any kind of money to move there. Also there are not enough ammenities down there for the people that do live there.

Downtown for the most part, (weekend night time aside) just 'feels' dead and until the city can harness that vibrancy of a city I just don't see people moving to the core.

I want the city to become vibrant with bustling streets like in the old days, when Oullette had more on-street parking (before the mall opened too), but watching the city get there is like watching molasses in winter time. It feels like most of the country is experiencing either a boom or modest growth and we're still stuck in the boom or bust cycle (bust atm).

Btw, did you guys read Rosati is starting on that new commercial/industrial business park at the old van plant location on Pillette, so that's good!

Something needs to be done about the Grace hospital site now, man what an eyesore (and I was born there *sniffle*).

Oh and Investor's Group can't move into the ground floor of Canderel soon enough, I'm tired of looking at all that vacant space and remembering the historic block we tore down for it.