View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 6:44 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
Agree that CWI will be a nice piece of the puzzle, but due to the nature of the land use also think it will be rather dead in the evening. Even giant BSU becomes a ghost town all summer for the points you mentioned. Hopefully the large area of the college fronting the river will be treated as more of a public amenity.

And yeah, I don't think a grocery store would work in that area without a large surface parking lot. A walmart neighborhood market would probably work as it could lure all of Garden City. The Cash and Carry on the other side of the Connector has somehow survived for decades, and is in an even more isolated location.

Options for using URD funds is pretty limited considering the run-down or completely vacant nature of the area. A parking garage is a good option since no developer wants to pay for parking, and it could spur investment. I think the transition of the area needs to start close to the river. Does the City own the old Goodman Oil property? For some reason I think they do. If so, before they sell it off for another debacle like the dentist office and suburban mountain lodge they let get built on Whitewater and Main, it'd be interesting to see what could be done to that property to prepare it to be a notable greenbelt eat and drink spot that is painfully missing so far. It's so premature though, it's hard to imagine anything working.

The Goodman Oil property is in private hands, the Yanke family if iirc.

Yeah, somehow the ball needs to get rolling. The Local Construct project might be a catalyst, but it needs something else.