View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 9:05 AM

with the Main st, Cambie st, Oak st, Arbutus st, Granville st and Marine dr buses all terminating at the station i wouldn't be surprised with a bus every minuet.

Also I thought that part of Vancouver was going to be retained for industrial uses, i mean if they stick residential there they could just go and redevelop the even bigger area west of there that just got purchased and is planed for light industrial, warehouse, commercial developments. The area could become a new towncenter for Marpole and south Vancouver and make a Marine dr future rapid transit line even miore feasabel.

I always wondered if it would be possible to integrate light industrial, warehouse uses with high density residential. I mean just across the river their building towers right underneath YVR's flight path which is as noisy as just about any warehouse, light industry. Another option could be to allow developers to build residential in exchange for transferring industrial density to other sites such as east of Marine drive station. I know its not feasabel to build high density industrial buildings so to speak but by allowing the developer to profit on other industrial lands near rapid transit it could possibly make it worth it to build in exchange more expensive higher density industrial complexes elsewhere that can be multiple level etc. fitting more usable square footage in to a given area and not loosing overall industrial space in the city. Does anyone in the know if this was ever discussed or done elsewhere?
I mean what is the price difference of industrial land to high density waterfront residential next to a rapid transit station 10min from Richmond center and 10min from downtown Vancouver. Ok I had a quick look and it would seem industrial land in Vancouver seems to be 500,000-1,000,000 per acre while high density residential in downtown Vancouver is about 25,000,000-35,000,000 per acre and thats not waterfront. So to allow someone to rezone industrial land in and around that location I would think they could be expected to invest a extra 15,000,000-35,000,000 per acre elsewhere to at least double the usable square footage of a acre of industrial land and the city then has no net loss of industrial land. I mean the demand is there to redevelop this land so the city should at least try to be flexible, creative and innovative to use that huge demand for the cities benefit. Right now when they rezone the land the owners pocket huge profits and obviously dont replace the industrial space, but i have never seen the city say, well you can redevelop it but you have to find a way to replace that industrial space in the city, we dont care how you do it, but if you do we will rezone it to high density residential. Eventually it will become profitable for someone to do it and the city ends up in a win win situation. By the way my land price numbers might not be accurate as i just a had very quick look at 2006 prices for a few lots here and there.