View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I don't think it will work for the simple reason BASEBALL IS DEAD IN CANADA! Look at the jays they can only draw fans when the yankees or red sox come to town other than that no one shows. Look at minor league ball in Canada and in the past 15 years how many AAA clubs have left Canada ie:Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver. Then the expos themselves for their last 10 years had horrific attendance. People will point out the 94 strike but in 1996 the expos had a chance at the wildcard spot with a week to go and no one showed up their fans just were not that good. Montreal is habs town through and through and then a little bit for the alouettes but baseball is dead in Canada.No young people are watching or playing baseball in Canada anymore.
Such an ill-informed post. You're from Winnipeg so you should know that the Goldeyes are one of the most successful minor leaugue teams in Canada with a beautiful downtown stadium. Secondly, I don't think the level of attendance at AAA baseball correlates with the level of interest in baseball as a whole. When the Cannons were here I would attend the occasional game, but I would watch top quality product (MLB) regularily. I don't beleive your third point is correct either. Perhaps it's an east/west thing, seeing as I split my time between Calgary and Van, but baseball is easily the third most popular spectator sport among my group of friends. Anecdotal evidence I know, but I am in my early 20s which is a prime demographic.