View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Welcome to the forum Devplan!

The two entrances is really hard to put in because of theft prevention from what I've heard. My rough plan would have them only at the front, but there would still ideally be some way to put some 'eyes' on the parking lot. On the other hand, with the sizes of the parking lots of many power centres today (and the lack of activity at night), I don't think this would actually be any less safe for drivers a than traditional power centre. Pedestrians (nondriving ones) would definitely feel safer walking along the street than having to walk through a huge parking lot to get to their destination, I think it would encourage many nearby to walk/bike rather than drive.

Ideally of course there'd be residential on top of these stores, but in my limited experience many commercial companies are unwilling to do this in suburban locations outside of Toronto (although I've seen a couple of sites where shoppers has offices on top of their stores). If there were more mixed uses it would encourage activities outside of the regular shopping hours and increase the safety as well.

I agree with what you both mentioned about the gas stations, I just needed to put it somewhere and didn't want to break up my streetwall concept, especially on the corner Ideally there wouldn't be a gas station on a major corner with all the streetfront retail and rapid transit, perhaps the next secondary road would be more appropriate, or switch it with the retail block at the NW corner of the site etc. on another note, there's a new gas station going up kitty corner to scotiabank place on the city's website.

I got the original from centrecorp's website and used photoshop to modify it (mostly cutting the stores, creating new layers, moving things around, filling in the rest with parking). If I used Adobe Illustrator it would have been a lot cleaner, but I didn't really have time to.
The biggest bug in what you have drawn is the loading docks. No one would want to have to negotiate with transport trucks to access a store.

Personally I prefer a design where the parking is beside the store. This way the store can have only one entrance, still be against the street (so you don't have to cross a parking lot to get from the bus to the store. Plus the trucks have easy access to the back of the building via a separate access road from the street on the other side of the building away from the pedestrians.