View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:56 AM
heavy user of walkability

my commute involves taking Caltrain from the 4th and King St station in San Francisco to Redwood City. occasionally I post pics of projects from the view out the train window, but recently I've noticed the number of things to see has been going up, so I thought a single, collective, snapshot post would be fun. the pics were taken on two days, 1/25 (the sunny ones), and 1/29.

for reference, the stations along the route, north to south, are:

4th and King, SF
22nd St, SF
Bayshore, SF
South SF
San Bruno
Millbrae
Burlingame
San Mateo
Hayward Park (San Mateo)
Hillsdale/Bay Meadows (San Mateo)
Belmont
San Carlos
Redwood City

this thread is not about SF, but just for continuity, as you pull out of 4th and King, on the north side of the tracks is the new office building wrapping up on Townsend at Sixth

rounding the first curve, you pass 100 Hooper, PDR space

cheating a bit: not the view from the train, but when stopped in the below-ground-level 22nd St station, looking up, you can see the crane for this project which is a couple blocks to the west

coming out of the tunnel from 22nd St, a glimpse of Rebuild Potrero's Phase 1

continuing on, coming out of the tunnel at San Francisco's southern border at Bayshore station, the old Schlage Lock factory site has been undergoing site prep for over a year, and supposedly should start actual construction this year, last I remember reading. for now, this is it:

approaching South San Francisco, the Genesis project on the slope of San Bruno Mtn

I'll just mention the Cove at Oyster Point (SSF) project in passing, since it has its own webcam...

coming into South San Francisco station, literally tons of equipment and material has been staged as they get ready to give the station a makeover that will greatly improve access, via an underground passage connecting both west and east sides of the station. and, on the left in the distance you can also make out one of the downtown SSF projects (Cadence) coming up out of the ground

to give you an idea of current conditions: at some point some group of planners (I'm just guessing in the 1960s) decided it would be a great idea to put this between the town of SSF and its train station, making people walk up the overpass and down a long flight of stairs to reach a train

if you look closer, there is Cadence showing through again, and in the foreground, the future west entrance to the station passage. (maybe better would have been to locate the tunnel portal on the west side of Airport Blvd so people didn't have to cross the busy street, but oh well)

nothing actively going in Millbrae at the moment

next station down, little Burlingame, has something cooking on both the east side...

... and west side of the tracks

downtown San Mateo also has a parcel being excavated on the east side

Hayward Park's Station Park Green has been documented before, but here is the latest look

approaching Hillsdale/Bay Meadows, on the west side of the tracks they are working on the project to extend three roads under the railway, connecting the Bay Meadows development with El Camino. in the last shot you can see part of Hillsdale Mall's reconstruction also

at Bay Meadows itself (east side of tracks), the third office building is making steady progress (on the left that's one of the streets that will pass under the tracks)...

... and the next batch of housing nearest the current station as well (on the right):

approaching Belmont, there are a couple fairly substantial things going up on the west side of the rails, the second one across El Camino from the end of the station's northern parking lot (those lots are so absurdly long that this still means you probably have a 5-10 min walk to the station from there)

Belmont is pretty much low-rise, but the area closer to the station has notable gaps even in that fabric. there is a plan, however, apparently

San Carlos has also been covered previously, but here is the current state of the transit village phase 1 buildings

those are separated from the station by a road, but adjacent to the station itself, the northern parking lot has been dug up for two additional buildings...

... as has the southern, and the recently-installed new transit center/parking lot is now fully open

and finally, getting off the train in Redwood City, the new office building across from Box is almost done

Last edited by timbad; Jan 31, 2018 at 9:48 AM.