View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
How long did it take Toronto to be seen as "very diverse"? It was not very diverse in the 70s. But at least by the 90s, people were bragging of its diversity and multiculturalism.
My family immigrated to Toronto in 1995, so I guess by the time we arrived it was already considered diverse. Maybe my family tipped the scales! Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Even in the US, people complain that portrayals of big cities (eg. New York and LA) have not caught up to the current demographics and they've had much longer to do so and a much larger pool to draw from for their media. I mean, NYC was certainly diverse enough in its actual demographics long before people complained that "Friends" in the 90s and 2000s didn't really show many minorities.

It seems like people can take about a generation sometimes to update their view of what the "average" demographics of a city are like. But among the younger generation, it seems the view is rapidly changing -- many kids today in Canadian cities grow up with double-digit percentages of minorities and do not see them as "exotic" or "foreign" the way people thought of them 30 or even 20 years ago.
Agreed. Sometimes it's sociopolitical too, people just have certain stereotypes about the prairies. Some of my friends in Toronto still think anywhere outside Toronto and Vancouver is not diverse, but will still acknowledge US cities with considerably less diversity as being diverse. It might just be a lack of exposure, but I think increasingly people are moving around and perceptions are quickly changing to catch up.