View Single Post
Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Now you're bringing in a different factor altogether: connectivity. Connectivity is definitely key but your argument was about distinctness which has no bearing whatsoever. Has it not occurred to you that 2 distinct cities can merge into one metro? It happens all the time. Hamilton and Toronto have existed separately but I'm not sure one can say that anymore. GO Transit is changing everything.

My second point: you're extrapolating my argument that Toronto-Hamilton being one metro to mean that Hamilton owes its existence to Toronto. Nowhere have I said that and nowhere have I argued that it's an extension of Toronto. You're the only one that has said that.
You don't need to talk down to me just because you don't seem to grasp what a metropolitan area is. Toronto and Hamilton are not Minneapolis and St Paul or San Francisco and San Jose. A metropolitan area is a geographic region with a primary city and nearby cities (suburbs) that are an extension of the city or form a polycentric, but single, region, due to interconnectivity. By your argument New York and Philly, Chicago and Milwaukee, and Los Angeles and San Diego are one of the same.