View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageNouveau View Post

It's elegant and sophisticated. The riverfront of Prague is a nice example, though it is mostly cobblestone and lacks trees.

I like the Christmas Market idea. I really would like Memphis in May to use Main Street and Court Square for a long festival to activate this part of downtown. Maybe the Christmas Market can start there. The turn of the century architecture around Court Square already sets the mood for such things.
I've mentioned Mud Island for a European Style Christmas Market because is it's easily defended so to speak. A bit of controlled access. I envision booths of various sizes set up along the River Walk and the area's around the Gulf Area with more in the open areas on the southern tip.

They would be brought in for the market and removed and stored elsewhere when not in use. All themed to the season. Some would be booths and some would large enough for walk in traffic.

Decking the Island out in lights and decorations invites folks to just come take it in. See the carousel decked out in the pic. The rides area on he north end would be year round but decked out for christmas. Some of the busiest days of the year for theme parks like Silver Dollar City is the winter season. You have local High School Choirs signing carols in various spots and they could operate concessions like for hot chocolate for fund raising.

Like I've posted before the rides would be overall be in the same uniform color scheme, and all be done in ornamemtal ironwork style reminiscent of that found on the steam paddlewheelers for the most part. I could see the Memphis Ornamental Metal Museum playing a key role with ride makers on doing this. They would be build in ways that maximize space like elevated platforms that used something else underneath. That also raises them up in case of historical flooding.

This is representational of that raised platform concept

Like I said, uniform classic styling not carnival or county fair gaudy. Ornamental fencing around the rides with a healthy emphasis on a gardens look with plenty of landscaping. That Island sets vacant way too long during the year. It can be put to use is so many ways with things the area is completely missing and done so very tastfully.

Tivoli has an aquarium, an oriental garden lake, performance areas like a puppet theater, it isn't just rides. They are just but a part of the make up of it. It's got a little something for everyone.

The last proposals has lots of good in it. But it is still lacking that punch that I describe above. That makes it more than Shelby Farms 2.0. That with an aquarium added to what Memphis already has really elevates it's Family Weekend getaway game

A 300 to 400 foot tall Star Flyer with a signature element on top (a brass Mucic note?)

A 250 ft. Tall ferris wheel with enclosed capules for year round comfort

A drop/shot tower style ride

A compact steel thrill coaster!

A compact steel superstructure wooden Track coaster.

A multilevel Carousel House with a double deck carousel as the centerpeice with 4 or 5 more rides for the younger folk. A second level 360 degree mezzanine with concessions, birthday/party rooms and games that overlooks the lower ride level. Kiddie coaster and other rides.

And about 5 to 10 other rides with about half under open air covered structures providing elements protection and the other half uncovered and a couple designed to be pads for non permanent ride so as new rides can replace others over time to keep some things fresh.

A play structure complete with slides and rope style obstacle courses.

Two water rides for summer a interactive boat ride with water cannons that would be set to the Battle of Memphis and a log flume/ shoot the chutes ride

And finally, a zero entry water play structure with various slides with the dump bucket on top.

St Louis is starting their new aquarium at Union Station. Cost around 100 million. Just a cost info nugget.