View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 5:07 AM
Fourth and Main

I'm hoping I can visit next month? I always love to visit Winston-Salem.

I think that site plan is a few years old? I seem to remember seeing that building during Edgeton's days. The use of PTRP also seems to confirm this?

Piedmont Advantage Credit Union Headquarters: BUILT
This was the credit union for Winston-Salem based Piedmont Airlines, before it was bought by US Airways.

Credit: Doug Rice

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...size=620%2C868
Credit: Lauren Carroll - JournalNow

Plant 64:
Updates from July and August, provided by Capstone Building, and an extra from today. Most of these photographs are of the power plant, which is my favorite building in the five building complex.

Plant 64 July Updates:

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Plant 64 August Updates:

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Plant 64 Update From Today:

Credit: Alex Moffitt

Civic Plaza:
This is the construction I was asking about at Civic Plaza. This looks like something they will have to remove and reinstall or better known as a waste of money. They should've waited until after the park was finished to do this.

Credit: Linville Team

The Heights at Patterson:
Laurel Street is seeking land from the city to build 135 apartment units, ranging from studios to two-bedroom apartments for small families. Yes, this project has grown 30% larger, since the last update! I'm guessing they will add another floor? The city wants the developer to offer a few affordable units as part of the deal. City Manager Derwick Paige said "Restaurant servers and bartenders at the planned Bailey Power Plant would also be able to afford the apartments. While a PhD may want to live there, they’ll need to make sure there are units available for people who earn less.” Yes, this is near the IQ District, within walking distance of Inmar's new headquarters.

West End Millworks:
West End Mill Works is seeking $195,000 in incentives to help finance Phase II of their project. The first phase created 9 new businesses, including Hoots Beer Co., Sutler’s Spirits distillery, The Porch restaurant, The Breathing Room, and Eight Points Muay Thai & Fitness, and 100 new jobs.

WSSU & FTCC:
Among state universities, in the Triad area, graduates of Winston-Salem State University make the most money. Among state community colleges, graduates of FTCC in Winston-Salem have the highest average pay in the Triad.

New Hotel in HMB Corridor:
A new Residence Inn will be constructed in the HMB Corridor by BPR Properties LLC. The hotel will have 108 rooms. The Planning Board “had to make sure that it complied with those conditions regarding architecture, lighting and landscaping, in addition to UDO requirements." Construction will start in the first quarter of 2015 and the building will take a year to complete.

Avid Solutions Headquarters:
Avid Solutions, an engineering firm headquartered in Winston-Salem with offices in multiple countries, will build a new headquarters near the intersection of I-40 and I-74 in Winston-Salem. Construction will start in early 2015.

Olaeris Headquarters & Research Center:
The biggest news of the past week! It's official! Olaeris has selected Winston-Salem as their headquarters. The new headquarters and research center is expected to have a $128 million impact on the city of Winston-Salem. The company was recruited to North Carolina through years of work from NGAT and looked at sites in four metro areas in the state, before selecting Winston-Salem. Olaeris said Winston-Salem is the perfect location for drone research. The company will hire 200 people in its first phase, primarily engineers, technicians, programmers, pilots, and trainers. The company expects Winston-Salem to gain thousands of high-paying jobs, over time, from this headquarters announcement. There are also other companies (more jobs!) that will work with Olaeris, looking at Winston-Salem sites. They have asked the state to use $6 million in incentives to buy their aircraft for state use, as a way to demonstrate it. The state must agree to this unusual incentive request by September 25th. Usually, the state only receives jobs from incentive offers. This incentive offer gives the state jobs and drones to use in emergencies or for research. The state is saying this is the future for incentives.

Central Library:
County leaders are telling everyone: Though this is a renovation, it won't look like a renovation. It will look like a new library! Under CBD zoning, they can build a much denser and urban-style building! There are no minimum setback requirements, no parking requirements, and no height restrictions, according to Planning Director Paul Norby! The zoning district is pedestrian oriented. The county, library, and Ratio Architects won't design new parking for the building. They will instead use shared parking from existing businesses near the library and on-street parking. The architects should have renderings by mid-October.

So what should we expect? It will be difficult to renovate the original Streamline Moderne wing of the building, so it appears as if they are recommending demolition for that wing and building a newer and taller building in its place. The 1979 addition will likely be reused, but it will be completely gutted and reclad, so it looks new. Frank L. Blum Construction Company will be the GC for the project and is already in contact with the architects. Commissioners are expected to issue the bonds for construction on August 25th.

The Edge Flats:

Credit: EdgeFlats

On the Roof:
Rooftop common areas seem to be the most popular amenity in downtown Winston-Salem? Is this on the roof of the artist colony on Third Street?

Credit: Adam Sebastian

Nash Building:
We may have regular updates on this project? Design Archives is opening November 1st! From what I've seen, this will be a great addition to downtown.

Imagine what this was like, as a former Nash car dealership!

Credit: Design Archives

Credit: Design Archives

UNCSA Film School:
The School of Filmmaking at the UNC School of the Arts was ranked No. 13 by The Hollywood Reporter on its annual list of the top 25 film schools. The magazine wrote “The 20-year-old school in Winston-Salem looks like a Hollywood studio backlot." In June, The Hollywood Reporter ranked UNCSA’s School of Drama at No. 6 in the world and the state's high school Drama program, also located in Winston-Salem, at No. 3.

Big Winston Market:
SSP's first look inside the distillery at Big Winston Market!

Credit: Mission Pizza Napoletana

Innovation Quarter:
Winston-Salem biotech company, Tengion, said its Neo-Kidney Augment is on track so far. The Neo-Kidney Augment uses a patient’s own cells to regenerate functional kidney tissue. Another Tengion research project, called Neo-Urinary Conduit, is currently seeking a funding partner. Winston-Salem is the world's leading center for regenerative medicine. It's always interesting to see what they are growing.

Winston-Salem Open:
One of Winston-Salem's two or three major league sports events is here! This week!

It takes 10 days to build the stadium. It's made of thousands of individual steel pieces and seats 4,500 people. It weighs 214,269 short tons. They haven't started work on the permanent stadium. This is the same temporary stadium used last year.

Credit: Andrew Dye

Credit: Andrew Dye

Columbiana Hi Tech:
Columbiana Hi Tech, an AREVA TN company, has started construction on a new 100,000-square-foot building. Samet is the GC. This appears to be a nuclear energy company?

The Hut Indoor Skate Park:
The Hut is renovating their ramps to prepare for Camel City Cream Skateboarding Contest, on Saturday August 23rd.

Credit: Exodus Skateshop

Credit: The Hut

Credit: Jerry Cooper

Credit: Jerry Cooper

BB&T Soccer Park:
Did you know: 5,000 people, representing 126 teams from across the Southeast, played soccer at the soccer park last weekend? WOW! They had to hold some games at Sara Lee Fields.

ConvergeSouth 2014:
The first and largest technology and social media conference in the southeast has a new home in Winston-Salem. ConvergeSouth is moving to the new Farrell Hall, designed by Robert A.M. Stern Architects. The building was completed just a few months ago. This is the 10th anniversary for ConvergeSouth. The conference is scheduled for October 17th at 8 a.m.,. Tickets to attend the full conference are $149.00 each.

Tickets: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/converg...ts-11797160625

Credit: Kenneth Bennett

Credit: Robert A.M. Stern Architects

Cringe-Con:
Are you attending Cringe-Con on August 21?

Source

Angelo Bros., Radio Building:
An interesting mural at the historic Angelo Brothers Building!

Hall of Street Art

Interesting Photographs:

Colin Gibbons

Credit: WFL 1&2

Source

Pepper Building - Big Announcement?
It appears as if a major "construction start" announcement, involving the adaptive reuse of the Art Deco Pepper Building to apartments & retail, could be announced at any time! Forum members at WSTB have reported activity at the building over the past few days and my sources have said construction would start by early fall? It would be great to see a construction start announced in late summer (this week)!

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 5:10 AM.